Having an inbuilt camera on your PC enables you to communicate with buddies, relatives, and co-workers in an entirely unique way, initiating possibilities for entertaining face-to-face discussions and adding a special feeling in remote conferences. Notably, people who are homeschooled or attend online courses can get online tutors to help them with their studies.
However, notwithstanding the numerous advantages, webcams and microphones are also a significant security threat. Virus on the PC can target the PC’s cam, switching it on without the user being aware and letting other people keep an eye on not only the user but also their surroundings.
Obstructing the lens of the cam with a bit of thick tape or a customized webcam case is a smart and straightforward approach to preserve the privacy, though if one needs a more efficient and durable resolution to the issue, they must know how to disable the webcam and microphone. Read on to find the steps for disabling the webcam and microphone via the Device Manager and BIOS.
Disable Webcam via Device Manager
- Go to the Start menu.
- Select Device Manager. It will be below System and above Network Connection.
- In the Device Manager window, click on the button following Imaging devices.
- Now, from the given list, locate and choose Integrated Camera. Right-click on it.
- Select the Disable option.
- In the Integrated Camera prompt, click on the Yes button.
Disable Microphone via Device Manager
- Launch the Start menu.
- From the menu, click on Device Manager.
- In the prompt, click on the pull-down arrow option following Audio inputs and outputs.
- Locate and right-click on Internal Microphone.
- Now, from the list, click Disable.
- After that, click on the Yes button.
- Close the window.
Disable Microphone and Webcam from the BIOS
If you want to improve the security by taking extra steps, then you can do so if you use a laptop. Certain laptops let the users disable the webcam and mic on the system level through the basic input output system. Refer to your laptop manual to disable the webcam from the BIOS. The process to do so depends on the make and model of the laptop.